History

Register

1327

The first mention of the Wildernesse estate, then "Stidulfe's Place", in public records.

1433

William Stidulfe sells the estate to local landowner William Quintin.

1509

The row of Spanish chesnut trees along the drive at the eastern end of Woodland Rise was planted to commemorate Henry VIII's marriage to Catherine of Aragon.

1669

The estate is purchased by Sir Charles Bickerstaffe, Clerk of the Privy Seal. He established a deer park here and gave the estate the name "Wildernesse".

1757

A glebe terrier first references Wildernesse by name.

1815

The lime trees along he boundary of the grounds were planted to celebrate a visit from the Duke of Wellington.

1885

Lord Hillingdon buys the estate and significantly expands and improves the house. Lord Hillingdon's daughter-in-law, Alice, was believed to have coined the phrase 'lie back and think of England'.

1939
– 45

Wildernesse House was transformed into a convalescent hopsital for soldiers returning from the front line in WWII.

2015

Wildernesse House enters its next chapter as a collection of apartments in the restored main house and a series of mews houses set in the grounds.